The Meadows Racetrack and On line casino is a standardbred harness racing observe and slot machine on line casino in North Strabane Township, Pennsylvania, United States, about 25 miles (40 km) southwest of Pittsburgh. It’s owned by Gaming and Leisure Properties and operated by Penn Nationwide Gaming.
In November 1962, floor was damaged for the primary parimutuel horse racing observe in Western Pennsylvania. The observe opened on June 28, 1963 and was operated by the Washington Trotting Affiliation.
The Washington Trotting Affiliation was bought in February 1973 by a gaggle together with well-known coach/driver Delvin Miller. Miller’s imprint nonetheless exists on the observe right this moment, with The Meadows most prestigious race bearing his identify (the Delvin Miller Adios Tempo for the Orchids), and a statue of his well-known sire Adios positioned on the observe’s entrance. In 2009, the Pennsylvania Historic & Museum Fee erected a historic marker at The Meadows to notice Miller’s historic significance.
The Meadows launched two important technological developments in 1983: Name-A-Wager and the Meadows Racing Community (MRN). Name-A-Wager allowed customers to create particular person wagering accounts and cellphone in wagers for races. In conjunction, the Meadows Racing Community telecast every day’s dwell races and was distributed to native cable suppliers. The telecast additionally included a half-hour preview present hosted by observe announcer Roger Huston. The observe used a advertising marketing campaign to advertise the companies with the slogan “Each 16 minutes the place goes loopy”, alluding to the usually fast tempo from race-to-race at harness tracks.
Pittsburgh lawyer Stuart A. Williams bought the observe in 1986, and subsequently offered it to England-based Ladbroke Group PLC in 1988. The corporate modified the identify to Ladbroke on the Meadows and opened a sequence of off-track betting parlors named Ladbrokes. The primary opened in New Fort, Pennsylvania, United States in June 1990. Areas adopted in Greensburg, Johnstown, Pennsylvania, Harmar Township, Moon, and West Mifflin (all in Pennsylvania, United States). The Greensburg location was closed in 2000 following the decline and eventual emptiness of the Greengate shopping center at which it was positioned. The Johnstown, Pennsylvania location was later offered to the Penn Nationwide Gaming company in July 1998. All different areas at the moment stay operational.
Magna Leisure Corp leased the observe from Ladbroke in 2001. Magna reworked Name-A-Wager into Xpressbet, an web and phone based mostly wagering service that allowed customers to not solely wager on The Meadows, but additionally on quite a few different tracks owned by Magna or with whom a enterprise settlement was in place. Xpressbet later expanded its operation to over 300 tracks. The Meadows was additionally featured on HRTV, a cable tv station part-owned by Magna. The OTB names have been modified to “The Meadows-location” (e.g. The Meadows-Harmar). One other Greensburg OTB location was opened in 2004 however closed in 2007. The Meadows-West Mifflin additionally closed it doorways in April 2012.
Las Vegas based mostly Cannery On line casino Resorts bought the observe in July 2006. Magna was retained to function the observe underneath a five-year administration contract.
In December 2007 Crown Restricted, an Australian firm, agreed to buy each Cannery’s on line casino belongings in addition to The Meadows. Nevertheless, in March 2009 Crown backed out of the deal.
In Could 2014, Cannery agreed to promote The Meadows to Gaming and Leisure Properties Inc. (GLPI) for $465 million. GLPI mentioned that it will retain possession of the true property, whereas a third-party firm would function the power. The worth was lowered to $440 million, after GLPI filed a lawsuit accusing Cannery of deceptive them in regards to the property’s monetary efficiency. The sale was accomplished in September 2016, with Pinnacle Leisure shopping for the working enterprise from GLPI for $138 million and leasing the property for $25 million per yr.
Horse racing was suspended on the racetrack in late January 2018 and 190 horses and 5 barns positioned underneath quarantine after the virus EHV-1, was detected. Racing resumed once more lower than a month later.
Penn Nationwide Gaming acquired the operations of The Meadows in October 2018 as a part of the acquisition of Pinnacle.
Laws handed within the state of Pennsylvania in July 2004 included The Meadows among the many areas slated to acquire a playing license for slot machines. The laws upheld a 2005 authorized problem by playing opponents, and on September 27, 2006, The Meadows was awarded a gaming license by the Pennsylvania Gaming Management Board.
On November 16, 2006, The Meadows broke floor on development. Plans referred to as for preliminary development of a short lived on line casino adjoining to the observe, which opened on June 11, 2007.
On September 5, 2007, a ceremony was held to mark the start of the grandstand elimination, which was essential to clear house for the everlasting on line casino. The everlasting on line casino opened on April 15, 2009; the momentary constructing was additionally closed on this date. Facilities embody a 350,000-square-foot (33,000 m2) on line casino, meals courtroom, cafe restaurant, premier steakhouse with view of the race observe, coated grandstand, simulcast viewing space, VIP packing containers, and a 24 lane state-of-the-art bowling heart. The Meadows options over 3,300 slot machines.
On July 6, 2010, The Meadows On line casino hosted an “invite solely check date” for on line casino desk video games. The check runs have been profitable, and at 6 AM on July 8, 2010, the desk video games (together with roulette, blackjack, craps, and so on.) opened to most people. The chips utilized by the Meadows On line casino are RFID chips containing a microchip that identifies them as reputable. This measure prevents counterfeit chips from coming into into the play space.
On October 2, 2019, the Pennsylvania Gaming Management Board authorised a sports activities betting license for The Meadows Racetrack & On line casino, which may also provide on-line sports activities betting in partnership with DraftKings. A smooth opening for the sportsbook occurred on October 8, 2019, with the grand opening on October 10, 2019 that includes former Pittsburgh skilled athletes in attendance for the ribbon-cutting ceremony. The DraftKings on-line sportsbook launched on November 4, 2019.
The race observe is a 5/Eight mile (1006 m) oval. As the usual harness race distance is one mile (1609 m), races begin on the backstretch and proceed by three turns.
The unique observe floor was manufactured from Tartan observe, an artificial materials manufactured by 3M. As issues with Tartan surfaces started to emerge, the floor was modified to a extra conventional stone mud.
The observe has no hub rail (inside portion is marked by pylons). The stretch is 566 toes (173 m) in size, and 80 toes (24 m) in width. There may be an inside passing lane within the stretch, known as the Lightning Lane.
Not like many different tracks in the US, The Meadows conducts racing yr spherical, with over 200 days of the yr that includes dwell racing. The particular days that the observe conducts dwell racing differ all year long. Racing is carried out totally on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday & Saturday afternoons with first race put up time at 1:00pm japanese.
Races are carried out with a most of 9 starters on the gate; horses in put up 10 begin from the second tier.
Present stakes races
- Delvin Miller Adios Tempo for the Orchids: August, a part of Grand Circuit week. The Meadows signature occasion, the Adios is a prestigious race for Three yr previous open pacers. It has been raced yearly since 1967. The 2008 operating was held at Mohegan Solar at Pocono Downs as a consequence of ongoing development on the Meadows.
- Adioo Volo: August, a part of Grand Circuit week. The feminine equal of the Adios, the Adioo Volo is carried out for Three yr previous filly pacers. It has been raced yearly since 1972. The 2008 operating was held at Mohegan Solar at Pocono Downs as a consequence of ongoing development on the Meadows.
- Arden Downs: August, a part of Grand Circuit week. 2 yr previous filly tempo, filly trot, colt/gelding trot have been run yearly since 1957; Three yr previous filly trot, colt/gelding trot have been run yearly since 1958.
- Currier & Ives: Could, June. three-year-old open trot, three-year-old filly trot have been run yearly since 1975.
- Pennsylvania Sire Stakes: Numerous dates Could by September. All mixtures of two- and three-year-old, colt/gelding and filly, trotter and pacer.
- Pennsylvania Honest Finals: October. All mixtures of two- and three-year-old, colt/gelding and filly, trotter and pacer.
- Keystone Traditional: October. All mixtures of two- and three-year-old, colt/gelding and filly, trotter and pacer.
Previous Stakes Races
- The Messenger Stakes: 1995-2003. Historically run at Roosevelt Raceway, The Messenger is the ultimate leg of the three-year-old Pacing Triple Crown. Within the 9 years the occasion was run at The Meadows, three horses captured the Triple Crown: Western Dreamer (1997), Blissfull Corridor (1999), and No Pan Meant (2003).
- The John Simpson, Sr. Memorial Stakes, 1963-1967: “The Tremendous Bowl” two-year-old colt trot, “The Bret Hanover” two-year-old colt tempo, “The Ayres” three-year-old colt trot, and “The Albatross” three-year-old colt tempo.
- Pacing Traditional Closing: 1997. Open pacing occasion has been run yearly since 1997. Race is carried out at numerous distances, all longer than the usual mile (1610 m), and at a special observe every year. The Meadows hosted the inaugural model of the race at 1-1/Four miles (2012 m).
- Traditional Distaff Closing: 1998. Filly and mare pacing occasion has been run yearly since 1997. Race is carried out at numerous distances, all longer than the usual mile (1610 m), and at a special observe every year. The Meadows model of the race was held at 1-1/Four miles (2012 m).
- Traditional Oaks Closing: 1999. Filly and mare trotting occasion has been run yearly since 1997. Race is carried out at numerous distances, all longer than the usual mile (1610 m), and at a special observe every year. The Meadows model of the race was held at 1-1/Four miles (2012 m).
- The Woman Maud: 2001-2003. Historically run at Yonkers Raceway, this three-year-old filly pacing occasion has been run yearly since 1960.
- “PHMC Historic Markers” (Database search). Historic Marker Database. Pennsylvania Historic & Museum Fee. Retrieved January 17, 2014.
- Smith, Pohla (2007-12-13). “Historical past of The Meadows”. Pittsburgh Publish-Gazette.
- Belko, Mary (2009-03-14). “Australian firm pulls out of deal to purchase Meadows’ mum or dad”. Pittsburgh Publish-Gazette.
- Paul J. Gough (Could 15, 2014). “Meadows Racetrack and On line casino CEO bittersweet, however deal too good to cross up”. Pittsburgh Enterprise Instances. Retrieved 2014-05-18.
- Matt Stroud; Paul J. Gough (December 16, 2015). “Meadows on line casino, racetrack acquired for $440M”. Pittsburgh Enterprise TImes. Retrieved 2015-12-16.
- Paul J. Gough (September 9, 2016). “On line casino operator plans to take management of Meadows on Friday”. Pittsburgh Enterprise Instances. Retrieved 2016-09-09.
- Virus stops racing on the Meadows Racetrack by Feb. 6
- Harness racing resumes at The Meadows after quarantine
- Rick Shrum (March 24, 2018). “State panel approves new operator for Meadows”. Observer-Reporter. Washington, PA. Retrieved 2018-10-16.
- Todd Prince (October 15, 2018). “Penn Nationwide Gaming completes $2.8B acquisition of Pinnacle”. Las Vegas Evaluate-Journal. Retrieved 2018-10-16.
- Blood-Horse Workers (2004-07-05). “Pennsylvania Slots Invoice Headed to Governor”. The Blood-Horse.
- Schossler, Jason (2005-07-12). “Slot Machine Measure Comes Up Aces in PA”. FindLaw.
- La Torre, David (2006-09-27). “PA Meadows LLC Awarded Class 1 Gaming License” (PDF). Meadows Gaming.
- La Torre, David (2006-11-16). “Meadows Holds Ceremonial Groundbreaking on New $450 Million Racino” (PDF). Meadows Gaming.
- La Torre, David (2006-06-05). “Meadows Racetrack and On line casino Broadcasts June 11 Grand Opening” (PDF). Meadows Gaming.
- La Torre, David (2007-09-05). “Meadows Racetrack and On line casino to Start Removing of Grandstand” (PDF). Meadows Gaming.
- La Torre, David (2008-04-09). “Meadows Racetrack and On line casino Unveils Modifications to Everlasting On line casino Design” (PDF). Meadows Gaming.
- Maykuth, Andrew (October 2, 2019). “DraftKings goals to play in Pennsylvania’s booming on-line sports-betting market”. The Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- Ruffing, Steven (October 10, 2019). “Digital Unique: The Meadows On line casino opens sportsbook”. Wheeling, WV: WTRF-TV. Retrieved October 28, 2019.
- Kohler, Katie (October 30, 2019). “DraftKings Sportsbook Set To Go Reside In PA On Nov. 4”. Play Pennsylvania. Retrieved November 3, 2019.
- Hoffman, Dean (2007-12-27). “What’s So New About Synthetic Surfaces”. HarnessLink.
- USTA. “The Meadows Monitor Details” (PDF). USTA.
- themeadowsracing.com. “2008 Stakes Schedule” (PDF). The Meadows Racetrack and On line casino.