United States historic place
Mountaineer On line casino, Racetrack and Resort is a thoroughbred racetrack and on line casino resort positioned on the Ohio River north of New Cumberland, West Virginia. It’s owned by Vici Properties and operated by Century Casinos. It’s notable for being the primary race monitor in the USA to get slot machines and change into a racino.
Historical past and knowledge
Initially to be often known as Waterford Downs, the monitor’s dad or mum firm was included in 1937. The trouble was led by Al Boyle, president of the Charles City Races, who named it after his household’s ancestral dwelling of Waterford, Eire. The corporate’s preliminary public providing was accredited in February 1939, with the monitor anticipated to open the next September. By August 1940, building had not begun, however 250 acres of land had been purchased or optioned. In 1942, Boyle deliberate to start building of the monitor, however anticipated the grandstand to be delayed at the very least till 1943 by a metal scarcity as a result of World Warfare II.
Building was lastly underway by July 1948, with opening scheduled for September 1949. The identify was modified to Waterford Park in 1950. Opening day was lastly held on Might 19, 1951.
Within the mid-1950s, Boyle bought the monitor to James F. Edwards. The Ogden Company acquired Edwards’s holdings, together with Waterford Park, in 1969.
The monitor was bought by Invoice Blair and renamed as Mountaineer Park in 1987. In 1992, Blair bought the monitor to California-based Excalibur Holding Co. for $Four million money plus $2.7 million in inventory. The monitor was approved to have slot machines and put in them in 1994. Excalibur was renamed Winners Leisure, then renamed MTR Gaming Group.
Mountaineer added on line casino desk video games on December 20, 2007, with 50 tables, together with blackjack, three card poker, and roulette.
In 2019, Eldorado Resorts (which had merged with MTR Gaming in 2014) bought Mountaineer, together with two different properties, to Century Casinos and Vici Properties. Century purchased Mountaineer’s working enterprise for $30 million,  whereas Vici purchased the land and buildings for $97 million and leased them to Century.
The monitor has a most important filth monitor with a one-mile oval. The turf course is seven furlongs lengthy and contained in the filth. The monitor is curved barely within the entrance stretch. The monitor additionally has a big on line casino and resort on web site.
The on line casino has 3,200 slot machines.
Mountaineer was one of many busiest Thoroughbred programs within the nation with as many as 217 racing dates scheduled in yr 2012. The Mountaineer stay racing season had consisted of Four to five nights per week, beginning as early as March and ending as late as December. This had been diminished to 130 racing dates, working Might via November by 2019  The monitor had been in a position to supply purses a lot greater than these in neighboring states and attracted bigger subject and the merchandise of such a better parimutuel deal with and higher attendance. Over the previous decade, competitors from surrounding states elevated, and purses have diminished. Mountaineer hosts the West Virginia Derby, a Grade III race that had considerably grown in stature and purse within the late 2000’s and early 2010’s to a Grade II race, however has additionally had its purse diminished and reverted to a Grade III race lately. The primary Saturday in August historically has been the day the Derby takes place, and is the one day of the calendar that the monitor affords afternoon racing. In any other case, the races are run at 7pm. Mountaineer had beforehand been thought-about as a attainable host for the 2009 Breeders’ Cup, nevertheless it was awarded to Santa Anita.
The monitor runs many stakes and in a single day handicaps. Right here, so as, are the stakes that ran at Mountaineer in 2005:
The next Graded occasions have been held at Mountaineer Racetrack in 2019.
- Coca-Cola Independence Day Stakes
- Firecracker Stakes
- Mountain State Stakes
- Harvey Arneault Memorial Breeders’ Cup Stakes
- West Virginia Senate President’s Breeders’ Cup
- West Virginia Home of Delegates Speaker’s Cup
- West Virginia Legislature Chairman’s Cup
- West Virginia Secretary of State
- Mountaineer Juvenile Stakes
- Mountaineer Juvenile Fillies Stakes
- Autumn Leaves Stakes
- Mountaineer Mile Handicap
- Sophomore Dash Championship Stakes
- “Nationwide Register Data System”. Nationwide Register of Historic Locations. Nationwide Park Service. March 13, 2009.
- “New race monitor given state O.Okay.”. Washington Publish. October 10, 1937. ProQuest 150879574. – by way of ProQuest (subscription required)
- Invoice Bennings (December 4, 1938). “On the Publish”. Washington Publish. – by way of ProQuest (subscription required)
- “New West Va. monitor sanctioned by SEC”. Washington Publish. February 17, 1939. – by way of ProQuest (subscription required)
- “$500,000 race monitor work is ready to start this month”. Youngstown Vindicator. August 4, 1940.
- “Tract purchased for race plant”. Youngstown Vindicator. January 2, 1942.
- Walter Haight (July 26, 1948). “Night time flat racing not new in Md”. Washington Publish. – by way of ProQuest (subscription required)
- “Potpourri”. Pittsburgh Publish-Gazette. March 28, 1950.
- “Invoice Bennings”. Washington Publish. Might 18, 1951. – by way of ProQuest (subscription required)
- “Tamale first at new monitor”. New York Instances. Might 20, 1951. – by way of ProQuest (subscription required)
- Tony Pierro (June 2, 1997). “Mountaineer Race Monitor a runaway success”. State Journal. Charleston, WV. – by way of Factiva (subscription required)
- “Proprietor Of Waterford promoting out”. Beaver County Instances. January 17, 1969.
- Stephen Babich (June 30, 1987). “New identify, new bets at monitor”. Pittsburgh Press.
- “Sale of Mountaineer Park will stand”. Williamson Day by day Information. AP. December 1, 1992.
- MTR Gaming Group Firm Profile
- Bailey Schulz (December 6, 2019). “Eldorado Resorts closes Three property gross sales for $385M”. Las Vegas Evaluation-Journal. Retrieved 2019-12-08.
- “Fairness Buy Settlement”. Century Casinos. June 17, 2019. Schedule I – by way of EDGAR.
- “Actual Property Buy Settlement”. Vici Properties. June 17, 2019. p. 5 – by way of EDGAR.
- ’09 Breeders’ Cup to be held at Santa Anita