American poker participant
Michael Matusow (born April 30, 1968 in Los Angeles, California) is an American skilled poker participant residing in Henderson, Nevada. Matusow’s nickname of “The Mouth” displays his fame for trash-talking on the poker desk. He’s additionally identified for generally ruining hours or days of fine play with a single misjudgment (often known as a “Mike Matusow Blow-up” or “Mike Matusow Meltdown”).
Matusow started enjoying poker severely within the early 1990s, first whereas working as a poker supplier, then as an expert participant. His successes embody being a four-time World Collection of Poker bracelet winner and the winner of the 2005 World Collection of Poker Match of Champions.
Matusow was first launched to poker when he performed video poker on the Maxim On line casino on the age of 18. He was a daily and performed a lot that he suffered from repetitive pressure harm in his shoulders and arms. He often stole cash from his mom’s purse and at one level attended Gamblers Nameless conferences. Matusow was taught Texas maintain ’em in 1989 by a rounder named Steve Samaroff.
On the 1998 World Collection of Poker (WSOP), Matusow paid a part of Scotty Nguyen’s entrance price right into a satellite tv for pc occasion for the $10,000 no restrict Texas maintain ’em Principal Occasion. Nguyen went on to win, and gave $333,333 to Matusow in return for his partial stake. In 1999, Matusow received his first WSOP bracelet, successful the $3,500 No Restrict Maintain’em occasion defeating Alex Brenes heads-up to win the title.
In 2001, he completed sixth place within the WSOP $10,000 no restrict Maintain ’em fundamental occasion. Matusow says that the decisive hand was when he was bluffed by eventual champion Juan Carlos Mortensen, however didn’t belief his instincts to name.
On the 2002 WSOP, Matusow received his second bracelet by successful the $5,000 Omaha Hello-Low Cut up eight or Higher occasion. He defeated fellow skilled poker participant Daniel Negreanu to win the event.
Within the 2005 WSOP, Matusow completed ninth out of 5,619 gamers in the principle occasion, successful $1,000,000. A number of months later, he received the WSOP Match of Champions in a heads-up battle towards Hoyt Corkins, incomes one other $1,000,000 within the course of, making him the primary participant to win two million greenback prizes in the identical yr. He additionally positioned third within the Match of Champions the next yr, successful $250,000.
On the 2008 World Collection of Poker, Matusow received a 3rd bracelet within the $5000 No Restrict 2–7 Draw with rebuys occasion defeating Jeff Lisandro heads up for the $537,862 first prize. Later in the identical yr he completed 30th out of 6,844 gamers within the Principal Occasion, making yet one more deep run within the Principal Occasion.
Matusow received his fourth bracelet in 2013 within the $5,000 Seven Card Stud Hello-Lo Cut up eight or Higher event, defeating Matthew Ashton heads-up and incomes $266,503.
World Collection of Poker bracelets
|12 months||Occasion||Prize cash|
|1999||$3,500 No Restrict Maintain ’em||$265,475|
|2002||$5,000 Omaha Hello-Low Cut up eight or Higher||$148,520|
|2008||$5,000 No Restrict 2–7 Draw w/Rebuys||$537,862|
|2013||$5,000 Seven Card Stud Hello-Lo Cut up eight or Higher||$266,503|
Different poker ventures
In October 2004, Matusow made his first World Poker Tour (WPT) last desk on the UltimateBet Aruba Basic, incomes $250,000 for third place. In 2006, he completed runner-up to Tony G within the WPT Dangerous Boys of Poker II in heads-up play. Matusow additionally appeared in Poker Superstars III, the place he made it to the Elite Eight. Within the winner-take-all championship match, Matusow beat seven different gamers to win $500,000. He additionally appeared within the second, third, fourth, and sixth season of Excessive Stakes Poker. In September 2006, Mike made his debut on the European Poker Tour (EPT) in Barcelona; nevertheless, he was eradicated on the primary day. In early 2007, Matusow appeared on two episodes of Poker After Darkish the place he completed third and 2nd respectively. He performs on-line poker below the next aliases: “dill pickle” (UltimateBet); “mrpokejoke” (PokerStars); and “Mike Matusow” (Full Tilt Poker, the place he was previously a member of “Group Full Tilt”).
In July 2007, Matusow received $671,320 after coming in second place on the World Poker Tour Bellagio Cup III Championship after on-line professional Kevin Saul defeated him throughout heads-up play. On November 11, 2008 on the World Poker Tour Foxwoods World Poker Finals, Matusow made one other WPT last desk, He was eradicated after hisdid not enhance towards Jonathan Little’s hand of , he completed in sixth place, incomes $124,048.
In 2013, Matusow received the NBC Nationwide Heads-Up Championship, defeating Phil Hellmuth 2-1 within the last.
As of August 2014, his whole reside event winnings exceed $9,000,000. $3,580,911 of his winnings have come on the WSOP.
Matusow has had a number of private issues. He has battled drug points, together with a six-month stint in jail in 2004 and 2005 after being caught offering ecstasy and prescription painkillers to an undercover police officer who pretended to befriend Matusow and gained his belief. After a number of months of an official Las Vegas Metro Police “Sting Operation”, Matusow was arrested and charged with six class A Felonies, all drug associated. A plea deal was later reached the place Matusow was incarcerated within the Clark County Detention Middle for six months.
Matusow resides in Henderson, Nevada. He typically wears a gold chain with the Hebrew image ‘chai’ round his neck. Moreover, Matusow hosted Card Participant’s poker radio present/podcast, the Circuit, earlier than being changed by Gavin Smith and Joe Sebok. He was additionally the host of Card Participant’s now defunct on-line video phase, “The Mouthpiece.” In a single episode, Mike mentioned the controversial Ultimatebet.com superuser dishonest scandal, in addition to in search of authorized motion as a sufferer of the scandal towards the principle perpetrator, former World Collection of Poker Champion Russ Hamilton.
Matusow wrote an autobiography titled Verify Elevating the Satan that was launched Might 12, 2009.
- Nameless. “Mike Matusow – Poker Participant Profile”. www.PokerListings.com. Archived from the unique on September 30, 2007. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- DiMeglio, Steve (July 27, 2006). “Wild experience for Matusow”. USA Immediately.
- “Archived copy”. Archived from the unique on June 30, 2011. Retrieved June 14, 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (hyperlink)
- Nameless. “Mike Matusow”. Full Tilt Poker. Archived from the unique on August 7, 2006. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Butt, Robert. “1999 World Collection of Poker $3,500 No Restrict Maintain ’em occasion outcomes”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Butt, Robert. “2002 World Collection of Poker $5,000 Omaha hello/lo occasion outcomes”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- “2008 World Collection of Poker Occasion #18 $5,000 No-Restrict 2–7 Draw w/ Rebuys: Matusow Tops Lisandro for Win”. Poker Information. June 12, 2008. Archived from the unique on June 14, 2008. Retrieved June 12, 2008.
- Butt, Robert. “2005 World Collection of Poker Match of Champions outcomes”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Kaplan, Michael (August 2006). “Me and My Large Mouth”. Complete Gambler. Retrieved June 1, 2007.
- Matusow, Mike; Amy Calistri; Tim Lavalli (Might 2009). Mike Matusow: Verify-Elevating the Satan. ISBN 978-1-58042-261-1.
- Butt, Robert. “2001 World Collection of Poker $10,000 No Restrict Maintain ’em fundamental occasion outcomes”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Butt, Robert. “2005 World Collection of Poker $10,000 No Restrict Maintain ’em fundamental occasion outcomes”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Butt, Robert. “2006 World Collection of Poker Match of Champions outcomes”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Butt, Robert. “WPT Aruba Poker Basic outcomes”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Butt, Robert. “WPT Dangerous Boys of Poker II outcomes”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Nameless. “FSN: Poker Superstars Invitational Match 3”. Fox Sports activities Community. Archived from the unique on August 18, 2006. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Burton, Earl. “‘Excessive Stakes Poker’ Again For A Second Season In June”. www.PokerNews.com. Retrieved August 6, 2006.
- Butt, Robert. “WPT $10,000 Bellagio Cup III outcomes”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved July 15, 2007.
- Butt, Robert. “Mike Matusow – Stats”. The Hendon Mob. Retrieved April 25, 2016.
- World Collection of Poker Earnings Archived June 2, 2007, on the Wayback Machine, www.worldseriesofpoker.com
- “Archived copy”. Archived from the unique on February 7, 2013. Retrieved February 12, 2011.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (hyperlink)
- 03CRH001255-0001 STATE OF NEVADA VS MATUSOW, MICHAEL B
- Nameless. “The Circuit”. www.cardplayer.com.
- The Mouthpiece: Episode 61 – The Mouthpiece Video. CardPlayer.com. Retrieved on April 18, 2011.
- Poker Movies – Card Participant TV. CardPlayer.com. Retrieved on April 18, 2011.